Mitte is Berlin’s most central district, translating literally to “middle” in German. It is here in the centre where you can find the capital’s most notable museums and architecture. Mitte is the oldest district in Berlin dating back to the 13th century and home to historic buildings such as the Reichstag and Museum Island. Today Mitte is an international hotspot and mix of diverse neighbourhoods. It is here in the second-smallest Berlin district that the seat of the Federal Government sits. Here is a guide of the top attractions that make it is so desirable to buy a home in Mitte.
Culture and Galleries in Mitte
- Sammlung Boros: Located in a five-story World War ll bunker, the Sammlung Boros is one of the best private art collections in all of Berlin. Since the early 200s, collectors Christian Boros and Karen Lohmann have featured international art from some of the biggest names around the globe. Be sure to reserve online in advance. The museum host only 12 people at a time.
- Museum Island: Spend a day or three visiting Berlin’s infamous museum island. It is composed of five different museums all having a different purpose throughout history.
- The Altes Museum: featuring Etruscan art
- The Neues Museum: an archive from Ancient Eygpt
- The Alte Nationalgalerie: art from 19th-century Europe
- The Bode-Museum: a collection of art from the medieval period to the 18th century
- The Pergamonmuseum: under construction until 2025, visitors can still view its expansive collection of Islamic art
Nature and Parks in Mitte
- Lust Garten: Take a break while visiting museums on Museum Island and spend the day in the green of the Lust Garten. Enjoy a direct view of the Berliner Dom and the Altes Museum that frame the park. If your a keen photographer, be sure to bring your camera along to document the historic sites.
Shopping in Mitte
Soda Books: Take a break from the day to day digital routine and get physical with publications. Soda. Berlin has magazines for every walk of life. Located on Torstrasße.
Fundamental: Looking for a unique living interior store to help you style your new residence? Fundamental was founded by two architects inspired by all things geometric. Here you will find contemporary and modern pieces.
The Store: Where fashion, furniture, and design meet. The Store fulled stocked with everything a modern Berliner could ever dream of. The concept store features a café, plant centre, music store, library, art gallery co-working space, and upscale clothing. Located in Soho House Berlin.
Food and Drink in Mitte
- Borchardt: Seen or been seen. Here is where a-listers from all over the world enjoy award-winning French-European cuisine. Once you’ve secured a reservation, be sure to try the legendary Viennese Schnitzel.
- Crackers Berlin: Crackers is the result of the fusion between the legendary club, Cookies. The two became one as a bar-restaurant concept. As for the food, expect a french-inspired menu with a modern fresh twist.
- PeterPaul: A modern take on German food. Breaking away from the traditional large, heavier portions, PeterPaul is all about sharing German classics served as small plates. Although the interior is chic and modern, the dishes remain as traditional as when Oma’s cooking.
Bars and Late Night in Mitte
Bar Milano: This refined, cool cocktail bar combines all of the elements for a Milanese night. Arrive early enough for a seat and enjoy a true Italian aperitivo. Negronis, anyone?
Bar Tausend: This cool and classy bar is hidden underneath the railroad tracks, encased in a tunnel of bricks. Be sure to ring the buzzer for access. Once inside, enjoy fine cocktails and drinks. Bonus, eat at their restaurant for a transition into the night.
Neue Odessa Bar: Located on Torstasße, a hotspot street with endless bar and restaurants, the Odessa Bar is a staple for nightlife in Mitte. It’s timeless chic ambience and the relaxed mood is perfect for enjoying their cocktail creations.
Buying a Home in Mitte
Average Purchase Price per Square Meter in Mitte
Kiez or Neighbourhoods in Mitte
- Scheunenviertel: The Scheunenviertel, translated in English as the “Barn Quarter”, is one of the trendiest neighbourhoods in Berlin. The district is filled with boutique hotels, creative cafes, and is a short distance away from the infamous Torstaße and Alexanderplatz.
- Nikolaiviertel: Step back in time when strolling along the narrow streets and charming homes that create what is known as Nikolaiviertel. It is the oldest residential neighbourhood located in Berlin. The nearby monuments include the Rote Rathaus, the TV tower, Alexanderplatz, St. Marienkirche, and the historic port along the water.
- Friedrichstadt: Named after the Prussian king Frederick I, Friedrichstadt is another historical neighbourhood in Berlin Mitte. Here you will find a mix of beautifully preserved old buildings or Altbaus combined with a mix of new modern construction. The neighbourhood is home to former Checkpoint Charlie, the Gendarmenmarkt, and government buildings.
Suitable Lifestyle Types in Mitte
Singles & Families
Entrepreneurs & Government Employees
Hipsters & Millennials
Schools in Mitte
Ready to call this central Berlin hotspot home? Check out all of our current listings of available properties in Mitte. We will connect you directly with an agent who will help you with your dream property search. There’s no place like home.
Culture and Galleries in Mitte
- Sammlung Boros: Reinhardtstraße 20, 10117
- Museum Island
Nature and Parks in Mitte
- Lust Garten: Am Lustgarten 1, 10178